Friday, June 29, 2012

Obama And Change


President Barack Obama states, “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change we seek.” I seek to redefine the image of Muslim-American women, just as Barack Obama has redefined the image of African-Americans. I am concerned about the negative stereotypes people hold of Muslim women. I will take advantage of the freedom and great opportunities I have been given. I hope that my choice of attending university will present a positive counter image to the prevailing stereotypes.”

As I look back at this personal statement I wrote three years ago upon applying for colleges, I have no doubt that I have overcome this personal challenge of dealing with negative stereotypes. Through my interpersonal skills, and overall positive presentation of myself, I have been able to prove the medias image of Muslims as false. I have grown into a person who has been able to change the perception people have about Muslims. I can have anyone testify to this at New Jersey City University from students, to Professors, Student Government members, to my co-workers and supervisors at the office of Campus Life, and Admissions, to my mentor Vice Presdient of Student Affairs, Dr. John Melendez.  I have achieved my goal of   To present a positive counter image to the prevailing stereotypes” through a good presentation of my own self.
 I finally realized the meaning of the quote I used three years ago in my personal statement, “We are the change we seek”. And subhnallah, Allah already has said this,
Allah does not change the condition of a people until they change their own condition” Holy Quran 13:11
13:11

No comments:

Post a Comment