Wednesday, June 6, 2012

She So Inspiring!!! MashAllah

I recently posted a post titled, hijab, opportunities, dont be shy!


It was about how I was accepted into this fellowship program, and while applying for this program I was hesitant to speak about myself as a hijabi, thinking it would mess up my chances of getting into the program, but I decided to do the exact opposite and I wrote all about my hijabi identity.My point was dont ever worry about your hijab getting in the way! Its only Allah who gives you that job,scholarship, or internship...
As I was searching for scholarships I came across this inspiringggggg hijabi! MASHALLAH
She was the 2nd place winner for the http://www.wyzant.com/scholarships/v2/winners.aspx
She did exactly what I did with my fellowship application, she talked all about her hijab, and look she won!!! Mashlalahh!!

Second Place Winner

Iman from Clermont, FL

High School Junior at East Ridge High School

How to be Me

For the most part, I get dressed just as everyone else does in the morning. Undergarments, pants, shirt--and of course deodorant before that--but I do something else differently as I prepare for school. I open up one more drawer. It's a compartment full of color combinations and possibilities to match the rest of my outfit--it's a drawer full of scarves.

As I wrap my scarf, or hijab, I feel comfortable. Nevertheless, I didn't always feel this cheerful wearing the headscarf. At times it would feel awkward to walk around with a piece of cloth wrapped around my head. But once I thought it through, I realized that that's all it is: an extra article of clothing.

Underneath my hijab I'm just like most other American girls. I constantly chat with my friends and squeal if a bug comes near. Since I've embraced who I am while realizing where I'm from, wrapping my scarf has been much easier. Like the many beautiful colors and patterns that fill my drawer, every person is diverse or unique and this is nothing to be ashamed of.

I felt out of place when I let my differences restrict me from being my own person. However, the world is not a place of uniformity. We're all puzzle pieces, we're all different, but together we fit into a human work of art.

Today I walk across the school campus, smiling genuinely, because I know that I'm unlike anyone else. This is the way the world should be, and this is perhaps the most important thing I've learned: my differences aren't my weaknesses, they are my strengths. They are what make us as a nation, strong.

Never be afraid of who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment