Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thesis: Diversity of Administrators in Higher Edu

I would love to write a senior thesis about this topic! I wonder if research was already conducted on this topic.

According to a forbes.com 2010 report:
"Six out of the top 10 most diverse schools in the country can be found in the New York metropolitan area: Rutgers- Newark;(CUNY) City College,NJIT..."

Colleges such as Rutgers, NJCU, CUNY, and many others present themselves as the most diverse colleges in the nation, but the question I pose is:

Is the diversity of the student body reflected and represented in the staff members (specifically administration) of these schools?

How did I come up with this idea?Recently I have been meeting with my future mentor-Vice President of Student Affairs at New Jersey City University to prepare my application for the NASPA - Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education Undergraduate Mentorship Program.

One of the questions on the application is:

      Is there anything else significant of which you feel the  selection committee should be aware?
The answer me, the former mentor student,  and my Mentor (the VP) came up with:

"I aspire to have a career in the field of Higher Education administration with a specific focus in Student Affairs.  This desire is motivated by my belief and observations that Muslim women are an underrepresented group in this career field and that there is a need to diversify the professional ranks in higher education.  Among my goals is to serve as a role model for young Muslim women and to serve as a voice sensitive to the cultural and religious tradition of this growing demographic population in the United States." 

One question my mentor had to answer is:

In your statement, please make sure to address how your potential Fellow’s identities (both privileged and historically disenfranchised identities) will affect their potential in this program.

Dr.John Melendez, Vice Presdient of Student Affairs:

"Her recognition of the apparent lack of Muslim women in the field of higher education and student affairs was very perceptive. Both Hudson County Community College and and New Jersey City University are located in Hudson County, a location that is very ethnically and culturally diverse with a visable and active Muslim community. Until Huda came to see me, I "did not see" the lack of underrepresentation of 'covered' Muslim women in our higher education community.
I believe Huda has the opportunity to represent the next wave of immigrants who will be trailblazers for their respective community. As a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Minority Serving Institution (MSI), NJCU has a history and tradition of providing growth opportunities for its students. I believe that Huda's participation as a NUFP Fellow will go a long way to breaking down stereotypes about who chooses student affairs as a profession and will also provide this young woman an opportunity to become more fully exposed to the wide array of opportunities available in student affairs."

I thought about this statement, and I realized it is not just Muslim women who are underrepresented in this career, but lots of  other groups are also underrepresented. I think this needs to change. As our student bodys become more diverse then ever, the administration also needs to reflect this diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment